No matter how comfortable the swing or bouncy seat is, babies love being carried in your arms. But showing your love to your baby is impossible unless you don’t go to work or have fewer tasks at home. Besides, your arms will hurt, and you won’t be able to do your daily tasks well. But there is a solution that is practical and has emotional benefits to your baby- Using some safe, easy-to-use & handy best baby carriers.
There are hundreds of baby carriers on the market, but not all of them are worth recommending. The multiple options can also confuse you when choosing a carrier that is handy and safe for your baby. However, don’t worry as we have gathered a list of the best baby carriers. We have also included a useful buying guide.
|TABLE OF CONTENTS|
|15 Best Baby Carriers|
|Types of Baby Carriers|
|What to look for in a baby carrier?|
|Frequently Asked Questions|
Best Overall: Ergobaby 360 Baby Carrier
If you require a baby carrier for your small baby or toddler, then I’ll always recommend this model. Ergobaby 360 baby carrier is very comfortable, ergonomic, and useful for carrying your baby from the time she is four months old. It carries in all positions; whether you want to carry your baby in a front, the hip or the back position, you’ll find it very useful.
Also, it has a hip-healthy design, which makes it ideal for growing babies. The padded shoulder straps and lumbar support waistbelt can also fit any type of parent regardless of their size. An included babyhood also offers extreme protection against the wind& sun when your baby is growing. Besides, it’s machine-washable, which enables it to remain neat and clean all times.
- Padded shoulder straps and lumbar support waistbelt fit all types of parents
- Comfortable and supports baby to toddler
- Carries the baby in all positions
- Included a baby hood for sun& wind protection
- Brand: Ergobaby
- Product Weight: 8 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 10.5*6.7*6.7 inches
Best for Hiking: Thule Sapling Elite Child Carrier Backpack
Thule Sapling Elite Child carrier backpack is the top carrier of 2020 from our review. It doubles as a baby carrier and a backpack and is ideal for toddlers of ages eight months to 3 years. It is quick& easy to adjust to fit parents of different heights and also comfortable to you and your little one.
Besides, you can easily adjust the child height as it has a height-adjustable seat and shoulder harness. It also comes with stabilizer straps for improving the balance and center of gravity balance. Also, the backpack has ample storage spaces for storing your items and there is a load stabilizer that straps the essential adjustments while maintaining your comfort.
- Fully adjustable back panel and hip belt for a perfect fit
- Removable backpack and large zippered compartment offers an ample storage space
- Two quick-access pockets on the hip belt for keeping your toys and snacks within reach
- Dual access allows you to load your child from the top or side of the carrier
- Load straps allow on-the-go adjustments that offer you optimizes your carrying comfort
- Brand: Thule
- Product Weight: 7.9 pounds
- Product Dimension: 13.8*12.3*28.8 inches
Best Value: Ergobaby Omni 360 Baby Carrier
Well, if you need a baby carrier that adapts to your growing baby, then I’ll recommend the Ergobaby Omni 360 Baby Carrier. It supports all carrying positions and doesn’t require an infant insert for it to work with all babies. What’s more, it has a storage pouch that allows you to store essentials such as phones, wallets, and cash securely.
Also, it has a one-handed slider adjustment which enables you to switch the baby position with ease. And don’t forget that you have a choice of wearing the shoulder straps in two ways: backpack style or crossed. You can also wear the waist belt high or low to enhance comfort.
- Supports four baby carrying positions
- Has a structured bucket seat which allows the baby to sit ergonomically and comfortably
- The seats are padded to provide a comfy & soft seat for the baby
- Included a large storage pouch for storing essentials
- A tuck-away baby hood allows you to breastfeed easily and protects the baby from strong sun and harsh wind
- Brand: Ergobaby
- Product Weight: 1.98 pounds
- Product Dimension: 6.2*9.1*10.4 pounds
Best Durable: Boba Baby Carrier
The Boba Baby carrier is ideal for those who need an ergonomic, easy to use, and reasonably priced carrier for their babies. Unlike some carriers, it doesn’t cut your baby’s blood circulation in the legs, which can make them turn blue/ purple. This is because it keeps your baby’s legs in a perfect ‘M’ position. Also, it has a butt pillow/ infant insert, which gives the baby an extra boost and comfort so that she sits a little higher. In case of harsh sun or rainfall, the removable hoodie protects your baby.
This baby carrier is easy to use and secures your baby tightly enough. It also contains multiple pockets that provide on-the-go storage for essential items such as cash, credit cards, smartphones, and other necessities. And the easily adjustable chest straps slide up/down quickly so that it fits any type of body comfortably.
- Made with 100% cotton that is durable and machine washable
- Includes a detachable infant insert and hood for head support and a sleeping shade
- You can use it with babies of 7lbs to 45 lbs
- Has multiple pockets offers on-the-go storage
- Brand: Boba
- Product Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Product Dimension: 20.9*15.8*0.4 inches
Tula Free-To-Grow Baby Carrier
The Tula Free-to-Grow baby carrier is made from a machine washable super fabric that cleans with ease. It might not be ideal for families on a budget as it’s one of the most expensive in our review. It can be used on babies of 7-45 lbs without an insert carrier. Also, it has two height and three width settings that enables you to adjust it to suit your growing baby.
Furthermore, the carrier comes from a breathable and lightweight fabric that cools your baby when it’s hot. Also, the mesh panel ensures proper air ventilation to ensure your baby breathes in and out easily. On the other hand, the padded waistband ensures even weight distribution while the leg padding keeps your baby more comfortable, making the set ideal for more extended wearing. Finally, it’s easy-to-adjust design makes it perfect for growing babies.
- Advanced body panel enables different babies to fit snugly
- Adjustable shoulder straps provide shoulder& neck comfort
- Offers quick adjustments for different wearers
- Front& back carry options offers you an ergonomic position for long term baby carrying and promotes healthy hip and spine development in babies
- Brand: Tula
- Product Weight: 2.35 pounds
- Product Dimension: 3*1*1 inches
Best Comfortable: Baby Tula Discover Free to Grow Baby Carrier
Well, if you don’t mind spending extra bucks for a quality baby carrier, then make sure you carry this carrier home. It can be easily adjusted using the width or height to give your baby an ergonomic snug position from the time she is a newborn to her toddlerhood. Baby Tula carrier doesn’t need an infant insert and has multiple ergonomic carrying positions for your baby that promotes natural and healthy hip and spine development.
Also, its dual adjustment straps have thick paddings that offer an optimum shoulder and neck comfort. The first time you try this baby carrier on your baby, you’ll realize that it offers quick and easy adjustment, which makes it ideal for different wearers. Finally, it’s manufactured from breathable and lightweight cotton, which keeps your baby cool even during dry and hot conditions.
- Multiple ergonomic positions give you variety in choosing a carrying style for your baby
- The wide padded waistband Provides superior comfort to help to distribute weight evenly
- Comes in a unique ad stylish print that easily blends with your outfit
- User friendly and easily adjustable to fit many body types.
- Brand: Tula
- Product Weight: 2 pounds
- Product Dimension: 2.4*5.9*3.5 inches
Best Supportive: BABYBJORN Baby Carrier
Rated #7 in our review, BabyBjorn is a soft structured baby carrier that is ideal for little ones weighing 8 to 25 lbs. It comes with a myriad of comfort features that make it ideal for infants. From the time your child is in her first month to 36 months, you’ll find this carrier very useful. Besides, it has an adaptable design that suits it to wearers of all sizes. Also, it is made using an airy, lightweight, and machine washable cotton that enhances the comfort of your baby. Finally, there are four ergonomic back and front carrying positions for your baby.
- Adaptable design for optimal fit of wearers of any size and baby
- Has an airy, lightweight and machine-washable cotton that is soft for the baby
- Padded shoulder straps and waist belt enhances the carrying comfort
- Brand: BabyBjorn
- Product Weight: 2 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 13*4*13 inches
Best Design: ClevrPlus Cross Country Back Backpack Hiking
Rated #8 in our review, ClevrPlus Cross Country Back Backpack Hiking is ideal for hiking and other trips just as the name suggests. It has large storage compartments for storing your baby’s essential items i.e. diapers, baby changing pad and sweaters. This makes it ideal for travel and vacations. Also, it has a sun canopy and rain cover that keeps your baby protected under all weather conditions. Besides, it is a portable comfort base for your baby as it has safety belts and foot stirrups that keep her securely with optimum comfort.
The seat that comes with this baby carrier is also adjustable to suit your child’s height. It works best for children of 9-48 months and will host your baby until she is two years old. Also, another amazing feature is its one-year warranty that enables you to shop with more confidence.
- Lightweight but sturdy enough for the baby
- Large enough storage compartments for keeping baby’s essential items
- The adjustable seat customizes the carrier to fit your child’s height
- An included rain covers and sun canopy protects your child during harsh weather conditions
- Brand: ClevrPlus
- Product Weight: 6.5 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 10*30*16 inches
Boba Baby Carrier
If your kid is between 7 pounds and 45 pounds of weight, then it’s ideal to buy the Boba baby carrier. It has an intuitive design that makes it last for years, and you’ll love the maximum comfort that it offers to parents and their babies. This carrier comes with such a simple design so that you can easily carry your baby from the moment she is a toddler without any hassles.
The comfort and convenience you’ll enjoy with this carrier are incredible, and your baby will sleep comfortably while you’re doing your tasks hands-free. Besides, it’s also easy to position it. At first, you may have trouble finding the right adjustments, but when you do, you’ll never get any inconveniences again. The only downside is that it doesn’t come with a face-forward carrying option.
- Comes with a hood that acts as a sleeping shade
- Works with babies as small as 7lbs up to 45 lbs
- Multiple pockets provide ample storage space
- Has a sleek and ergonomic design making it a perfect fit for anyone
- Brand: Boba
- Product Weight: 14.1 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 13.1*9.2*4.4 inches
LILLEbaby Complete All Seasons Baby Carrier
The newest Lillebaby Complete All seasons is a highly comfortable baby carrier that offers numerous carrying possibilities for toddlers of 7 to 45 pounds’ weight. It’s one of my all-time favorites, and it comes with two forward-facing positions, which only a few competitors like Ergobaby Omni 360 offers. Besides, it doesn’t require a newborn insert as it comes with an adjustable seat width that accommodates babies as small as 7 pounds to the carrier.
Another admirable feature with this baby carrier is its effectiveness in distributing the baby weight evenly- and wow! It’ super elegant, and the lumbar support makes a huge difference in providing comfort for long extended babywearing periods. Additionally, it comes with thickly padded shoulder straps and a comfortable waist belt. The more your baby grows, the more you’ll feel the value of your money in this amazing carrier.
- Offers six ergonomic baby carrying styles
- The large storage pocket provides ample storage for essential items
- Adjustable side panels narrow& widen for comfortable hip positioning
- The removable sleeping hood protects against harsh weather
- Brand: Lillebaby
- Product Weight: 1.6 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 11*4*14 inches
BABYBJORN Baby Carrier Mini in Cotton
If you recently gave birth to your little one, then this carrier will be perfect for you. It features a head support and adjustable seat that offers optimal support to your baby as she grows. Besides, it is super cozy as it’s made with flexible fabrics that offer maximum comfort to your baby. Also, the fabric is soft & lightweight, which allows you to carry it for long distances without tiring.
In addition, it’s easy to put on and take off. Overall, it’s ideal for newborns during the first few months when your baby requires maximum attention and closeness. Besides, the gentle fabrics hug your baby closely, which enables her to sleep soundly while she is straight on the carrier.
- Adjustable seat and head support offers continual support for a growing baby
- Made from ultra-soft and lightweight materials
- Easy to put on and take off for parents and has two front-carrying options
- Small and easy to use with a few adjustable buckles
- Brand: BabyBjorn
- Product Weight: 8 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 17.1*22.4*0.4 inches
SUNVENO Baby Hipseat Ergonomic Baby Carrier
SUNVENO Baby Hipseat Ergonomic Baby Carrier provides a comfortable sitting position for babies. This is beneficial to kids as it does not exert pressure on baby hips, which may result in unhealthy hip development. It is made from breathable and lightweight fabrics, which keeps your baby cool even when it’s hot. Besides, the material is durable, machine-washable and also environmentally friendly. Since you can wash it with a machine, keeping it neat and clean all times is easier.
Furthermore, it is waterproof and has a dotted seat surface, which gives your baby a better grip. There are also four multi-purpose pockets on the side and front that enable you to safely store your essential items such as a phone, wallet, and credit cards. And if you’re a new mother and you’re experiencing back pain and pressure, then get this carrier as it has a patented design that helps you reduce waist and abdominal pressure.
- Its ergonomic design provides a comfortable sitting position for the baby
- Anti-slip seats provide optimal comfort and protection for baby
- Made of breathable and lightweight material that keeps the baby cool when hot
- Four multi-purpose pockets on sides and front for storing personal items
- Brand: SUNVENO
- Product Weight: 1.65 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 5.9*11.8*7.9 inches
BABYBJORN Baby Carrier Original
If you would like to get a newborn carrier that has no insert, then this is the best model. When you unpack it and slide your baby inside for the first time, you’ll realize that she is very comfortable in there. Her head will stick out of the right length (and you can adjust the height of the carrier) so that the baby doesn’t suffocate. Also, you have the liberty to control how her legs dangle out. Since she is in an upright position, it will not restrict her breathing airways.
Better still, the carrier is easy to put on and take off and secures her firmly in place, minimizing the chances of her falling off. Finally, it is small enough to fit in a small bag and is super comfortable for both you and your baby.
- Sturdy and adjustable head support for proper support of the baby’s head and neck
- It keeps the baby in an upright position which keeps the breathing airways free
- Offers two safe and ergonomic carrying positions
- It’s perfect for newborns as it requires no infant insert
- Brand: BabyBjorn
- Product Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 11.4* 10.3*3.2 inches
Boba Wrap Baby Carrier
Boba Wrap Baby Carrier is a soft and stretchy machine washable fabric that keeps your baby close to your heart. It has an ergonomic seat that ensures even weight distribution for the mum or dad. It also makes breastfeeding easy and can be used as a privacy shield when you want to breastfeed your baby in public places
Boba Wrap Baby Carrier is simply the best baby carrier when you want to bond with your little one. It’s made with spandex, which enables it to retain its shape and prevents loosening as you adjust it continually.
- Its design enhances the privacy of breastfeeding mums
- Ergonomic baby seat ensures even weight distribution
- 5% cotton allows for airflow and easy care
- % spandex gives the wrap a little amount of stretch
- Brand: Boba
- Product Weight: 1.76 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 6*6*11.5 inches
Infantino Flip 4-in-1n Convertible Carrier
Though it’s the last item in our review, Infantino Flip Carrier is a favorite among mothers who are new to baby carriers. It is ideal for babies who weigh between 8 and 32 pounds.
The carrier has four carrying options; these options give you the convenience to choose how to carry your baby based on age and your preference. This item is also machine washable and comes with a beautiful cover that protects your carrier and clothes.
Furthermore, it doubles up as one of the best budget carriers of 2020. If you’re on a budget and need a high-quality, durable, and adjustable baby carrier, then go for this model. Better still, its adjustable straps will offer you a custom fit regardless of your body type.
- Has a wonder cover 2-in-1 bib that protects your carrier and clothes
- Adjustable seats, leg openings traps, and a waist belt offers a completely customized fit.
- Offers multiple carrying options of the baby
- Has adjustable padded straps to ensure long-term wearability
- Brand: Infantino
- Product Weight: 1.3 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 10.2*10.2*4.3 inches
Types of Baby Carriers
There are many types of baby carriers. Therefore, it’s vital to get one that works best for you and your lifestyle. Here are the top options:
Baby carrier wraps:
This is the darling of new moms when it comes to baby-wearing. Typically, baby wrap baby carriers are long swaths of fabric that are wrapped around your body and tied in place to hold your baby close. They are ideal for puttering with the baby at home while handling different tasks.
Soft-structured baby carriers
These types of carriers have a more defined feel and multiple straps, they distribute the baby weight evenly to your hips while offering your baby plenty of support, creating a snug, comfortable fit for both of you. Many soft-structured baby carriers have multiple carrying positions, so you can continue to use them as your little one grows into a bigger toddler.
Baby carrier backpacks
Baby carrier backpacks are ideal for parents who are planning to introduce their babies to outdoors. They’re heavier and have a backpack-style; also, they offer additional padding and boning to keep your baby in place while out on adventures. They provide more structure and security, but they’re a little heavier than the other two options. Also, they are made for back-carrying, so you usually have to wait until your baby is a little older and can sit up on her own.
What to look for in a baby carrier?
- A seat brings the baby closer to you: If you decide to buy a front-facing carrier, your choice should enable you to easily peck your baby’s forehead without leaning down too much.
- A clear, comfortable space for the baby: Always ensure the fabric doesn’t block her airways or has buckles that poke her.
- Offers maximum support: If you have a backpack or soft-structured carrier, get sturdy& padded straps and strong buckles which secures it well in place.
- Wide & supportive baby seat: Always ensure that the baby’s legs are separated appropriately to prevent hip dysplasia.
A comfortable base strap: This takes the pressure off your back and distributes weight evenly around your hips as you carry your little one.
- Washable fabric: A baby’s carrier can get dirty from numerous things; from blowouts to spit-ups and the typical coffee spills. Therefore, it’s crucial that anything that comes near your baby should be machine washable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are baby carriers safe for newborns?A: It is advisable not to use baby carriers on little ones under four months of age or those who can’t hold up their heads yet. This is because they’re at greater risk of neck injuries.
Q: How long can my baby stay in a baby carrier?A: Here are the top things to know about baby carriers: They’re less snuggle than wraps, but are faster to put on. Carriers with padded straps and waistbands offer more support when you’re carrying an older (and heavier) baby. You can also use some without an additional insert.
Q: Is a front-facing baby carrier bad?A: Forward-facing position is unsafe for a sleeping baby since that most often leads to a chin to chest head position that can restrict a baby airway. Don’t wear a sleeping baby forward-facing.
Q: Why does my baby hate the carrier?A: There are a few things that could prevent your baby from loving the particular carrier: Maybe it’s not fitted correctly. Not the right size (perhaps baby legs are over-extended or not knee-to-knee or the back panel is too high or low) Not set up correctly (some carriers can take a bit of learning to get right)
Q: How long can you wear your baby?A: As long as both of you love. As long as the carrier supports healthy positioning, you can wear her for as long during the day as you are both comfortable, and up until the baby hits the weight limit (which is often around 40 lbs).
Q: Is it OK for a baby to sleep in the baby carrier?A: Don’t allow your baby to sleep in the carrier, stroller or car seat. There are higher chances of your baby suffocating if she sleeps in any of these. If she does, remove her as soon as possible for her to sleep on the crib.
Q: How many baby carriers do you need?A: You can use one carrier, but in general, it’s good to have two carriers per family: one for quick, easy on/off carries and another for longer carries where the support of a two-shouldered carrier is needed.
Q: Can you sit down wearing a baby wrap?A: A good sling/carrier will have babies’ legs in a frog position in the beginning then spread out to the sides, so it’s possible to sit down with the baby in a sling if you want to.
Q: How can I get my baby to like babywearing?A: Some babies prefer seeing the world–not be tucked in against a parent’s chest. You can try wrapping one or both of baby arms outside the wrap to give them a better view. You can position baby sideways in the wrap, or wear baby in a high back carry that allows a view over mama’s shoulder.
Q: How do I make my baby comfortable in a carrier?A: You can try pacifying your baby and shush her as you sway. You can also pat their bottom to try to calm her. Also, put your baby in the carrier when you want to do something; putting them there for the sake of it can make her frustrated. The simple rule is using the carrier when you have an activity to do.
Babies enjoy being totted around by their parents, and if you have chores to do, then it’ll be hard to carry them for hours. But with a baby carrier, you’ll enjoy the convenience of doing different tasks in your home while your baby is resting against you. Get yourself a quality baby carrier today and enjoy hands-free convenience when in your home and even outdoors.