If the humidity in your car or home is exceeding your ideal capacity, then the walls and ceilings can quickly become damp, which is unhealthy. Even some well-ventilated homes can experience the issues too, and it’s normal. But don’t worry as the best humidifiers are a solution to the challenge of dampness in your home. Summer season comes with amazing warm weather and sunny skies but with excess humidity.
Though humidity is suitable for your home, it becomes dangerous when it exceeds the required levels. The wet areas in your home, such as the laundry room and bathroom will become more humid, and the excess water forms an ideal environment for the growth of mold and mildew that are potentially dangerous to your health. Besides, dampness is not good and especially for those people with allergies. But even if you don’t have these health issues, then high humidity is not pleasant for you too.
|TABLE OF CONTENTS|
|13 Best Dehumidifiers|
|What to consider when buying a humidifier?|
|Where should I place my dehumidifier?|
|Frequently Asked Questions|
Best Overall: Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 70 Pint Dehumidifier
The Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 is a portable and powerful dehumidifier that is built to remove excess moisture in your home. The product has been the best seller among the Frigidaire products and is one of the top sold choices models. The first time you unpack it, you’ll realize that it’s small and lightweight. Since it’s portable, you can quickly move it via wheels from one room to another. Aside from its wheels, there is a top handle and side handles which you can use to move the dehumidifier from one place to another.
Since it is designed to remove 70 pints of water every 24 hours, this dehumidifier is suited for large bedrooms and bedrooms. Overall, it removes large amounts of moisture, and is quite silent, unlike similar models. Also, it comes with an ergonomic bucket for easy lifting when it’s full of water. Also, the unit has controllable electronic controls, and it allows you a continuous pump operation when the device is closer to a drain.
- It operates on a low temperature to save your energy bills
- Space-wise portable design makes it easier to move the device to another room
- Comes with a washable antibacterial filter for clearing mildew and mold in your home
- Has Ready-select electronic controls for adjusting the settings easily
- Brand: FRIGIDAIRE
- Product Dimensions: 11.6*15*24.4 inches
- Product Weight: 47 pounds
Aprilaire 1872 XL PRO Basement Dehumidifier
If you are looking for a high quality, top-rated and durable humidifier, then I’ll suggest this model any day. It can remove up to 130 pints efficiently each day. The model has casters for smooth movement from room to room. It has an easy to use and intuitive control panel that can mount to the side or top of the unit for ease of access from any location.
This humidifier is the top humidifier of 2020 and requires less maintenance save for the yearly cleaning or replacement of filters. The manufacturer used corrosion-resistant materials in its construction to ensure it remains efficient and long-lasting. Furthermore, it will help you get rid of mold, odors, and mildew that accumulates in your damp home.
It also comes with a hose that replaces the need for a water tray. Overall, if you don’t mind spending money for the best quality dehumidifier, then this device is your top choice.
- Offers front or top control mounting options
- Included duct collars for easy & whole-house dehumidification
- Heavy-duty& corrosion-resistant build enables it to withstand harsh operating conditions
- Four casters for smooth movement from one place to another
- Easy to access& washable air filters for removing allergens like dust and mold spores
- Brand: Aprilaire
- Product Dimensions: 38*19.5*21.2 inches
- Product Weight: 130 pounds
AlorAir 198PPD 90 Pint Dehumidifier
If you are looking for an energy-efficient dehumidifier, then the AlorAir 198PPD 90 Pint Dehumidifier is your best match. The device utilizes the HGV (Hot Gas Valve Defrosting System), which enables it to work at a low temperature, therefore, saving your energy. Besides, it can work continuously without periodic stops to enable it to serve you without interruptions. Also, you won’t have to worry about getting it damaged as it’s made with premium corrosion resistant technology to make it long lasting.
There is also a remote control for adjusting different settings and features conveniently. Finally, the 5-year warranty allows you to shop with more confidence. The extended warranty covers the product, ensuring you utilize it to the core.
- Built with advanced technology& features internal corrosion protection to reduce corrosion and leakage
- Hot Gas Valve Defrosting system protects the coils from frosting making it work continuously without periodic stops
- Comes with remote control for a more convenient control
- Has a built-in water pump that pumps condensed water through its vertical spaces
- Brand: AlorAir
- Product Dimensions: 3.2*15.2*17.7 inches
- Product Weight: 57.3 pounds
Honeywell 70 Pint with Built-in Pump Dehumidifier
Honeywell 70 Pint with built-in humidifier is ideal for small to medium rooms of up to 4000 square feet. It is energy-star certified, meaning it uses less energy to remove large amounts of moisture, therefore, cushioning you from high energy bills. Also, it is quite a user friendly as the controls and LCD are intuitive and straightforward.
One of the great features of this humidifier is its built-in pump that can pump water out horizontally or vertically. This means you can pump water out via your kitchen sink, bathroom, or even windows to up to 15 feet away. And if you don’t like pouring water after every few hours, then a hose pipe will be handy for continuous water draining. There is also an in-built air filter that cleans and purifies the air. The filter traps dust particles and allergens to ensure the air is safe for breathing.
Also, as the filter traps more particles it becomes less effective and therefore will require cleaning. There is a light alert that notifies you when to clean the filter. Other notable features include timer feature, sleep mode and auto-restart feature that makes the device continue operating after a power outage
- Removes up to 50 pints of moisture per day
- Backed up with a five-year warranty and reliable customer support
- Smooth gliding wheels make it easier to move the device
- The auto drain pump removes water horizontally or vertically making it easier to drain it
- Brand: Honeywell
- Product Dimensions: 12.4*15.8*25.4 inches
- Product Weight: 49.2 pounds
TOSOT Energy Star Humidifier
Rated #5 in our review, TOSOT Energy Star Dehumidifier is a budget dehumidifier in the market. First, it comes with an emptying drain bucket, which enables it to collect excess moisture from the room. Also, it has an internal pump that allows for removing water in your room in any direction. You can collect a hosepipe to this pump and use it to drain water via the sink or window.
Moreover, these newer models have an energy-efficient compressor that enables them to save more power than the older models. And unlike most dehumidifiers, it’s unusually quiet, and you will quickly fall asleep while it’s operating. Finally, in case of a power outage, there is an auto restart feature that enables it to revert to the last settings before the shutdown.
- It is ideal for large rooms of up to 4,500 sq. feet
- It operates at a maximum of 48 decibels sound levels for quieter operations
- Power outage restart feature enables it to revert to the last settings when the power goes off
- Has an internal pump for draining water to any direction
- Brand: TOSOT
- Product Dimensions: 14.8*11.4*24 inches
- Product Weight: 48 pounds
Ivation 70 Pint Energy Star Dehumidifier
At just 40 pounds, Ivation 70-Pint Energy-Star Dehumidifier is one of the top quality dehumidifiers of 2020. The device can serve rooms of up to 4500 sq ft. and is efficient in removing up to 70 pints of moisture per day. Since bacteria and other harmful microorganisms reproduce quickly in high humid environments, you need to get rid of the excess moisture in your room.
Besides, mold, mildew, and allergens are harmful to your respiratory health, and having cleaner air is crucial in maintaining good health. This device also requires less maintenance and operates in a simple set up. You’ll only need to plug the dehumidifier, choose the settings and empty the tank when it’s full. Also, you’ll be able to check the humidity, fan speed, filter alert, timer, and more. Finally, it is energy-star certified, and therefore you don’t have to worry about substantial energy bills every month
- It has a LED display that indicates the fan speed, humidistat, filter alert, and more.
- Auto-restart feature is useful in cases of power outages
- Comes with washable air filters to ensure they remain efficient
- Has a built-in digital humidistat for measuring humidity and adjusting it to your ideal levels
- Brand: Ivation
- Product Dimensions: 15.4*10.8*23. Inches
- Product Weight: 39.7 pounds
Vremi 4,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier Energy Star
Vremi Dehumidifier is the modern choice for medium and large spaces that requires intense moisture removal. The manufacturer designed it with style and convenience in mind with the final finish being a sleek and clean look. Also, for easier movement from one room to another, there is a handle and built-in wheels.
The fan is very silent, ensuring you sleep or do your tasks with less disturbance. It’s also user-friendly and straightforward to set up and use. Other tasks such as adjusting the right settings and darning the water are also easier. Another extra feature is a turbo mode which increases the fan speed to ensure the removal of maximum odor and moisture.
- Built-in handles and wheels for smooth movement from room to room
- Comes with a drain hose outlet that allows continuous draining
- Has a large tank capacity of 1.8 gallons
- Removes up to 50 pints of water per day
- Brand: Vremi
- Product Dimensions: 16.1*10.4*19.9 inches
- Product Weight: 41.6 pounds
Frigidaire High 70 Pints-Per-Day Portable Dehumidifier
Rated #8 in our review, Frigidaire High 70 Pints-Per-Day Portable Humidifier is ideal for rooms between 3000 and 4500 ft that are wet or extremely wet.This device can remove a large amount of condensed water, making the room drier and air cleaner. Also, with its side handles and casters, you’ll find it easier to set up, pack it, and even move it to a different space when the need arises.
The humidity control on the device is also quite effective in removing the dampness in your room while also preventing mildew or mold from making the room safer and healthier for your family. And if you want to adjust the comfort levels, then there are two fan speeds. Finally, its benefits extend to cleaning the air as it has a washable mesh filter that cleans and purifies the air in your room.
- Offers two fan speeds and humidity control for adjusting it to the level of comfort you desire
- Has rolling casters for moving the device faster& more conveniently
- Has two alerts: full-tank and automatic shutoff alerts that notify you of when to empty the bucket
- Comes with a washable mesh filter for getting rid of allergens and dust
- Brand: FRIGIDAIRE
- Product Dimensions: 12.3*17.3*25.5 inches
- Product Weight: 45.4 pounds
hOmeLabs 4,500 Sq. Ft Energy Star Dehumidifier
For those who own large rooms and they desire a wide coverage dehumidifier, then this is their model. This hOmeLabs model is one of the largest in its category and can work with rooms of up to 4500 sq. feet. Effectively removing the excess moisture in the air. Besides, it comes with a sleek, clean, and minimalist look complete with handles and wheels for easy and convenient moving operations. Its fan is also super quiet and will not disturb you while you’re watching your favorite TV program or movie. The device is also highly durable and comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Has a large tank capacity of 1.8 gallons
- It is ideal for rooms of up to 4,500 sq. Ft.
- Comes with two air modes that enable you to adjust it to suit your needs
- Brand: hOmeLabs
- Product Dimensions: 15.4*11*24.3 inches
- Product Weight: 40 pounds
Keystone White High-Efficiency 50-Pint Dehumidifier with Electronic Controls
Well, if you have a 3000 sq. Ft. Room and you need an efficient dehumidifier for the room; then, you should buy this Keystone’s dehumidifier. It can remove up to 50 pints in a room and has three settings, including turbo and normal mode. This device does not only remove excess water in the air, but it also contains a filter for cleaning the air, and there is a LED alert on when to clean or replace it. It also comes with a bucket for collecting water, and there is a bucket alert that lets you know when to drain. Other essential features include the automatic shutoff feature and rolling casters for easier and convenient movement.
- Removable and easy to clean dust filter
- Has a superior and durable construction
- Has average noise output
- Has a defrost mode for an alternative low temp operation
- Brand: Keystone
- Product Dimensions: 10.8*15.4*23.2 inches
- Product Weight: 36.3 pounds
Tenergy Sorbi 1000ml Air Dehumidifier w/Air Purifying Function
Well, if you want to not only dehumidify the air in your room but also clean it, the Tenergy Sorbi 1000ml Air Dehumidifier is your best model. This device is quieter, small, and works well with rooms of up to 200 sq ft. It is quite effective in removing moisture from the room that causes dampness. It can remove up to 34 ounces of water per day, and when the reservoir is full, then the machine switches off automatically and gives you an alert via a LED light. You’ll then proceed to drain the water from the reservoir.
It is the best device for those looking for a lightweight and portable dehumidifier. It only weighs 7 pounds making it easier to move forth and back to different rooms. And you’ll also love the HEPA filter that comes with this device. The HEPA filter helps trap harmful particles like allergens making it ideal for those with allergies.
- Comes with a HEPA filter that traps dust particles and allergens to ensure cleaner air
- It is portable and lightweight making it easier to move from room to room
- It is ideal for spaces of up to 200 sq feet
- It operates at low noise levels of between 35 and 42 dB
- Brand: Tenergy
- Product Dimensions: 12.4*8.5*7.7 inches
- Product Weight: 6.93 pounds
Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier
High humidity can be highly unpleasant and unsafe for your home. You will soon notice mold and mildew growing in your home, which can result in respiratory problems. However, you can avoid that by using the Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier. This humidifier is extremely small, light, and it’s a medium dehumidifier on the market. It comes with a medium size tank, which can take up to 2 days before it gets filled up. Also, it works with numerous spaces, and when the water tank, it switches itself off. Therefore, you won’t have to worry about any water damage or the tank overflowing. This device also uses Thermo-Electric Cooling technology, which allows the vapor in the air to be converted to liquid water. Therefore, the water can then be collected and drained off.
- Has a large capacity 52-ounce tank for collecting water
- Auto-shutoff feature and LED alert when the tank is full
- Whisper quiet operations in offices, bathrooms, and bedrooms
- Energy-efficient devices which lower your energy bills
- Brand: Pro Breeze
- Product Dimensions: 6.6*9*12.7 inches
- Product Weight: 4.15 pounds
Eva-dry Edv-1100 Electric Petite Dehumidifier
Though it’s the last item in our review, Eva-dry Edv-1100 is one of the quietest dehumidifiers on the market. This allows you to sleep well in your bedroom without any disturbance from cranky sounds. This device is highly portable, making it easier to move from one place to another. Also, you’ll like the fact that the device operates on a power draw of 22V. This is quite a low figure hence making it an energy-efficient device that does not increase your power bills faster. The product also comes with high quality and sturdy construction. This was done by the manufacturers to make it more resistant to corrosion and other forms of damages emanating from the moisture, bacteria, and odors. Finally, it’s easy to set up as you only need to plug it in and switch it on. The device will then start operating on your room, dehumidifying it and filling the bucket with water.
- It has an average noise output of 50.9 dB making it one of the quietest humidifier
- Has a power draw of 22 watts making it energy efficient
- Made from superior and high-quality materials to make it last longer
- Simple Plug and Play setup operation
- Brand: Eva-Dry
- Product Dimensions: 6.5*8.5*5.3 inches
- Product Weight: 1 pound
What to consider when buying a humidifier?
Well, before going for a humidifier, it is wise to know that there is no universal size dehumidifier. These devices are categorized based on their shapes, sizes, mode of operation, and even power ratings. In some cases, you may find out that some humidifiers have the same sizes but varying performance either; thus, you ought to be more careful when selecting the best humidifier.
Hence, these are some of the tips to consider on how to go for the right humidifier;
1. Ways of operation.
Considering the three best types of humidifiers; desiccant, compressor, and thermo-electric humidifiers. The desiccant and thermo-electric humidifiers are not fit for most families since they are too slow. The compressor, on the other hand, works best contrary to the other two and is the most widely sold.
2. Size and Capacity.
Besides the other three choices, I’ll also recommend you to consider their sizes. Choose a size that suits your needs and preferences. Here are three types of humidifiers according to their sizes;
- Mini-portable humidifiers These types have been designed for small spaced rooms, i.e., baby rooms, bathrooms, and other rooms that are less than 500sq ft. As its name suggests, the machine can be placed onto any surface in the room, i.e., on the table or nightstand. The humidifier has one button for controlling it and a small water tank that you’ll have to empty frequently.
- Larger mobile dehumidifiers This type appears similar to the first one save for its larger capacity and bigger size. These models are efficient in removing large amounts of moisture from the air daily, and they have multiple features and controls. But regardless of its larger size, it’s still portable, making it efficient for any user.
- Whole-house dehumidifiers These types of humidifiers are quite large, and it’s quite challenging to move them. Though most people view them as commercial humidifiers, they are ideal for household use too. Whole-house dehumidifiers are usually linked to a furnace duct system to remove moisture in your home. However, contrary to the first two, it has a complicated setup, and it’s hard to move it from one place to another. Some, on the other hand, can hand on the attic beam.
Always remember that the best type of humidifier is the one that suits your house uses and structure before spending vast sums of money on one expensive dehumidifier.
3. Find the number of pints.
Each type of humidifier has a distinct pint capacity. You will, therefore, be required to know the number of pints fit for your apartment, depending on the climate also.
Here is a guide table to help you find the correct type of humidifier according to the number of pints.
Condition Before Dehumidifying 500 sq.
Rather high dampness ( musty smell) 10 pints 14 pints 18 pints 22 pints 26 pints Very high dampness ( musty smell& damp spots) 12 pints 17 pints 22 pints 27 pints 32 pints Wet ( sweating walls& feel wet) 14 pints 20 pints 26 pints 32 pints 36 pints Extreme humidity ( wet floors) 16 pints 3 pints 30 pints 32 pints 44 pints
However, a point of concern is that our dehumidifiers do not have the pint capacities indicated in the table above. (Some models do not comply with the table).
Also, another factor to consider the table was made using tests in ideal conditions instead of 100% actual conditions. Therefore, it can be inaccurate in a few cases.
The table does not also include Specificationson the exact number of cubic ft. The dehumidifiers remove in a minute. This factor is very crucial, which makes the results likely to be inaccurate. As we said we earlier this standard table is subjective and can be used for consultations only but cannot be depended on 100%.
Here are some of the rules that you have to adhere to in combination to the table;
- If your home is located on a humid-climate zone, then add 10pints
- If your room usually hosts more than 2 people, then add 5 pints.
- If the room has many doors, windows, and ventilation, then add 5 pints.
- You usually place the dehumidifier near a dryer & washer then add 5 pints.
4. Other features.
Extra features on a device may not matter most at first, but you should never ignore them. These can significantly benefit some users. Below are some of the standard features that come with some dehumidifier models:
- Automatic features These include the start, stop, defrost, and auto self-clean. They are very significant as you may not have time to set the proper settings or maintain the machine. They ensure the device performs well for longer, also saving you energy and time.
- Drain system Most people feel tired of having to empty a draining bucket continuously. But they can avoid this challenge by draining via a garden hose pipe. A pump is also a valuable addition, but it’s optional.
- Power Another important thing that you have to know whether your device uses batteries or runs of electricity and its power consumption per hour. It is also best to switch it off when not in use to conserve energy.
- Adjustable Humidistat The function allows you to enjoy your ideal dampness level. You’ll set a pre-set level so that when the device reaches it, it will go off automatically.
- Built-in Hygrometer They help you know how damp your room is so that you’ll optimize the device to operate optimally
- Indicator lights The lights are important as they notify you of several important statuses, i.e., of the water filters, timers, and others.
- Fan speed Get one with different fan speeds to allow you to adjust it to your comfort level.
- Filter Get a washable and detachable filter.
In considering the warranty of the product, you should know that the longer the period, the better the product.
You should check on the policy of the warranty, including the parts covered, what is not covered, and whether or not you can a partial or full refund. These will help you to understand the product well to avoid hassles later if you experience any problems.
Be wise when choosing a device, create a budget, and go a product that falls within it. Also, during some seasons, the dehumidifiers may be too cheap or expensive. For instance, most dehumidifiers are quite cheaper in dry areas with lower humidity. Also, try to bargain as most of them are quite expensive.
Before you shop for any item, it’s essential to check the past reviews of buyers and also professionals.
You should also focus on positive reviews as they’re crucial: these devices are quite expensive, and getting your ideal model can be a daunting task.
Make sure you consult multiple sources so that you’ll make a better decision on the device to buy and carry home.
Nevertheless, look for honest and realistic dehumidifier reviews as not all of them are reliable. Besides, never prioritize getting the top-rated dehumidifier but instead go for a model that works best for you.
Where should I place my dehumidifier?
The location of the dehumidifier in your home is crucial, as wrong placement can reduce its effectiveness. Here is a guide on placing the dehumidifier correctly:
- Always allow air circulation around your devices to improve their performance. Most models allow wall attachment provided they have an air discharge on their top. But if your device lacks that, never install t it against the furniture or wall but instead give it much space around. Make sure there is a spacing of 7-13inches at all sides of the devices to ensure maximum airflow.
- In case you have a hose for draining water from the container, fix it in a sink or a tub. Besides, inspect it periodically to ensure the hose remains in position and drains into the sink or tub. (A twine can be used to keep the tube in place.) Also, avoid leaving the hose near outlets or electrical cords as they increase the chances of you getting an electric shock Never leave the hose near electrical cords or outlets if you don’t want to get an electric shock.
Also, keep the tube short as a longer one can make people stumble.
- Keep the equipment away from dirt and sources of dust sources such as woodworking machines. Otherwise, debris will accrue on the inside and reduce the effectiveness of the dehumidifier.
- It is always recommended that you should place your dehumidifiers in places with the highest humidity places, i.e., bathrooms, basements, and laundry rooms. A dehumidifier is also handy for use in boats to reduce the high humidity.
- All types of dehumidifiers excluding the whole-house models can be used in rooms with no ventilation, i.e., doors, windows, and other openings closed). Though you can install a dehumidifier to work in two rooms, it will be less effective and, therefore, will have to exert harder.
- Regardless of whether your dehumidifier is mobile or wall-mounted, always try to place it at the center of your room.
- You can also use the device with the HVAC system. The compatible models are usually huge and include Santa Fe Dehumidifier, whose design allows it to connect easily with the HVAC system. Installation processes usually accessories such as a ducting set and others. The installation is quite complicated, and you may need a mechanic to integrate the device with an HVAC system.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When do I need a dehumidifier?A: Regardless of where your family lives, you will require a humidifier if the following conditions are in your home:
- Mold sporesThese refer to the tiny dark spots that show up regularly in very damp areas, i.e., a bathroom or basement.
- Obnoxious odorsFungal growth spores growing in damp areas often appear like thin white coat and smell bad.
- Water stainsThese normally appear on wooden surfaces and especially moist areas. These can degrade wooden items very fast.
- Poor ventilationHouses with poor ventilation should have a dehumidifier as it facilitates airflow and moisture control.
- Water condensation (especially on glass surfaces)In case there are drops of condensing water on different surfaces of your home (i.e., mirrors and windows), there are high chances that the residents and items of your home are affected by extreme dampness. The above reasons are the main signs that necessitate the buying of a dehumidifier. Moreover, you can rely on other factors or purchase a dehumidifier as it makes the air fresher and breathing more comfortable.
Q: What are the benefits of a dehumidifier?
A: There are many benefits of having a dehumidifier. Below are the top ones:
- The first benefit of a dehumidifier is that it lowers the moisture level, which helps prevent mold, dust mites, and mildew on your walls, furniture, and clothes.
- The first benefit of a dehumidifier is that it lowers the moisture level, which helps prevent mold, dust mites, and mildew on your walls, furniture, and clothes.
- These devices help remove the unpleasant smells which result from the presence of mold or mildew in the room.
- Dehumidifiers help to keep your family healthy and especially the children. When the humidity is low, there are fewer allergies and irritation in your body (i.e., skin & respiratory system). Therefore, you’ll find it easier to breath more easily & comfortably.
Also, your clothes will start drying faster, and the food will not go bad faster. The most important point is there would be no rust or corrosion on your metallic tools, items, and devices. There would be no sign of corrosion or rust on metal items, tools, and devices.
- Dehumidifiers also help remove some dust in your home, making it cleaner while also lowering the cleaning time.
- A dehumidifier also increases the efficiency of the air conditioner. Though it’s not a must to use them at once, doing so will ease the burden and increase effectiveness on both devices.
Q: Do dehumidifiers operate continuously?A: No. Dehumidifiers automatically power off when the humidity level reaches the settings or/and if the reservoir is full.They will then function again after the humidity level exceeds your chosen settings (you can adjust the settings) and after emptying the water reservoir.Some models come with a continuous drain feature, which enables it to work in a constant mode, but they should also halt when your ideal humidity level is reached.
Q: What does the “dehumidifier’s capacity” mean?A: Consumers and manufacturers usually rate a dehumidifier due to the top amount of moisture it can get rid of every 24 hours.
For example, a 50-pint dehumidifier can remove 40 pints of moisture in 24 hours from the air.
A 70-pint unit, on the other hand, may come with a 30-pint water bucket. Therefore, you’ll have to drain the water in the bucket occasionally to maximize the water holding capacity of the device.
Some models have a direct drain feature; the feature enables the device to drain the water directly to a drain from the water reservoir.
Q: Which model is the cheapest to run?A: The first types we’ll review are the “Energy Star” rated models. The Energy Star rating is a reliable international rating that is made for energy-efficient electronic devices only.
Also, don’t purchase small-sized or too large dehumidifiers as both require a lot of electricity to operate.
Q: Can a dehumidifier heat its adjacent areas?A: Yes. A dehumidifier will increase the temp of its surrounding environment.
As the temperature around your dehumidifier increases, so does its ability to remove moisture from the air.
The amount of heat that emanates from the dehumidifier will then depend on the size, capacity, and width of the area of the device.
For narrow spaces, the dehumidifier can increase the temp of the ambient areas by up to 8°C.
On the other hand, if the weather is very cold, then the dehumidifier may stop functioning.
Therefore, before buying a dehumidifier for your cold basement with no additional heating devices, check the specs of the dehumidifier first. Check its Specifications it contains detailed info on its operating parameters.
Q: What should I get for a larger space? A large dehumidifier or many small units?A: Despite the performance that is advertised in their specifications, the real gauge of a dehumidifier is the extend of airflow in its surrounding areas. For instance, a full-house model cannot remove moisture from half of your house unless air travels smoothly from one room to another.
In such situations, you have to use the fans in your home and preferably ceiling fans to make air travel to different rooms and back to the device.
Otherwise, you can also get multiple units and install them at different sections of your home.
Q: Are dehumidifiers quiet?A: When compared to a portable air conditioner, the majority of dehumidifiers are less noisy. They usually produce some noise of about 56 dB, which is at the same level as human speech.
Whether a dehumidifier is quiet or noisy depends on that particular device. You can put it in different places such as living room, bedroom and any other place to find the spaces where it works best.
Q: What is the difference between a dehumidifier with an in-built pump and one that lacks a pump?A: A built-in pump is an optional addition but makes the unit more convenient. The pump drains the water in the water reservoir when you connect a pipe to it and link it on its other end to a drain system.
If your dehumidifier does not come with a pump, then you need to drain the tank manually. Also, despite those humidifiers with pumps are quite expensive they are usually helpful when you don’t have time for draining the water when the water reservoir is too bulky, or the dehumidifier is inaccessible as its hung on an attic space.
Q: What is the area coverage of a 70-pint dehumidifier?A: Typically, a 70-pint dehumidifier can dehumidify an area of 650-600 sq ft. The condition of the area influences it greatly.
Or simply a 70-pint dehumidifier can cover an only 650-sq foot space, which is ultra-damp and up to a 1600 sq. ft room in low dampness.
Q: How do dehumidifiers operate?A: Most dehumidifiers in the market use a fan and an internal compressor to draw the damp air with their inputs.
The air then moves across cold coils to convert the steam into the water in the container. The device then allows the dry air to escape into the outside space.
Q: What is the ideal humidity setting?A: The ideal humidity level for any room is 30 to 50%. However, you should set it higher in hot weather and lower in cold weather.
When the level of dampness in your home is higher than 50%, then mold and mildew will likely start to appear. However, too low humidity is also quite uncomfortable and can cause your skin to become too chapped.
Q: What is the lowest temperature which a dehumidifier can operate in?A: Most residential dehumidifying equipment works in 41-44° F temperatures.
Meanwhile, the models that are built for use in industries can operate even in subzero temperatures. Since each device is unique, its best to check the specs of each to determine its operating temperatures.