Leather seats in vehicles are stylish, comfortable and luxurious. However, they might be a pain when it comes to cleaning. If you own a leather-seated vehicle, you have to pay attention to the leather cleaners and conditioners you choose so that the leather can remain in the right shape for many days. Car leather should be cleaned with leather-specific products. In this guide, we will provide you with the best car leather cleaners and conditioners along with the factors to consider when shopping for one. Leather is durable when cared for, but it will degrade very fast if you do not protect it or care for it with the right products.
Table of Contents
- The 10 Best Car Leather Cleaners and Conditioners
- Things to consider when buying leather conditioner and cleaner
- How to Remove Common Stains From Your Car
- How to How to Clean Car Seats With Different Upholstery
Best Overall: Leather CPR Cleaner & Conditioner By CPR Cleaning Products (Value 2-Pack of 18oz Bottles) Restores & Protects Leather Furniture, Purses, Car Seats, Jackets & More
Leather CPR Cleaner & Conditioner By CPR Cleaning Products are among the products that most users recommend. It is easy to use and it will keep your leather seats in good condition for a long time if you use it correctly. To clean your leather surface, you just need to apply the cleaning products and watch the surface going from dingy to dazzling without any greasy residue. You can clean various types of leather, including the soft and exotic types of leather such as ostrich and alligator leather.
Dermatologists have also certified the product as safe, so the used ingredients will not irritate your skin when cleaning your leather surfaces. In addition to your vehicle seats, you can use the product to clean and condition your jackets, belts, clothing, shoes, boots, chairs couches and other types of furniture.
Best Value: Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit (16 oz) (2 Items)
If you have light-colored leather seats, Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care kit is a perfect choice. It will remove diesel well from the leather, eliminate the residue and any smells. The manufacturer promotes it as an all-purpose cleaner and to extend the usage, you can dilute it slightly. Apart from the leather seats in your vehicle, you can use it on other items such as bags, saddles, leather accessories, apparel, leather clothing, synthetic leather upholstery, leather pants, chairs and couches.
The kit will breathe new life in your leather surfaces and provide them with a natural look and soft feel. It is odorless, colorless and OEM approved. So, after using it, the natural smell and color of your leather seats will remain intact. Any mistreated leather will age faster, crack, dry. The Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner will take it back to the original state. By using it regularly, you will manage to maintain the surfaces clean and feeling smooth, soft and silky.
Best Multipurpose: Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, Best Leather Conditioner Since 1968. For Use on Leather Apparel, Furniture, Auto Interiors, Shoes, Bags and Accessories. Non-Toxic and Made in the USA!
Start by cleaning the leather surface with Leather Honey Leather Cleaner to remove any grime and grit that might have accumulated over time. However, you do not need to clean any new leather item. After cleaning the leather surface, leave it to dry and then test the conditioner on a small discrete area. It is always important you allow the leather enough time to dry before you start cleaning. Mildew will grow if you seal in any water by conditioning the leather surface when still damp.
Using the Free Application Cloth, apply a very thin even coat on the surface of the leather seat. Allow the leather to absorb the conditioner for around two hours – you can also leave it overnight – and then wipe off the excess conditioner with a dry cloth. A half-pint bottle will help you apply the Leather Honey easily to small accessories if the need arises. It will keep your boots, wallets and handbags conditioned.
Best Natural Oil Beeswax: Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP Leather Conditioner Natural Oil Beeswax Formula (8oz)
If you need a cleaner and conditioner for heavy use such as caring for your work and hiking boots in addition to the leather seats in your vehicle, Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP Leather Conditioner Natural Oil Beeswax Formula is worth consideration. The leather oil will work well for the lighter duties such as conditioning your dress boots.
The product has the consistency of a soft runny wax that melts with the body temperature. You can apply it by hand and massage it into the leather surface. After the application, it will take around one day to dry. Use a rag to wipe off any excess formula. The product has a strong honey-like smell that will last for several days.
Best Car Cleaning Supplie: Drillbrush Automotive Soft White Drill Brush - Leather Cleaner - Car Wash Kit - Car Cleaning Supplies - Wheel Cleaner Brush - Car Detailing Kit – Car Carpet - Interior, Vinyl, Seat Cleaner
The four-piece cleaning and detailing kit offers four different sizes and shapes boat/automotive wash and detailing brushes. The offered white brushes feature soft bristles, which provide scratch-free scrubbing and cleaning. Every brush has rugged steel shafts with quarter inch quick-change attachment for faster changing of the components.
Scrub and clean your magnesium, chrome, painted rims, wheels and clear-coated surfaces for trucks, cars and motorcycles. The cordless drill offers adequate power to scrub and clean surfaces. The 5-inch flat rounded brush allows you to handle large areas like large area carpets, Tonneau covers and boat hulls faster.
Best For Vinyl Seats: Carfidant Ultimate Leather Cleaner - Full Leather & Vinyl Cleaning Kit with Microfiber Towel for Leather & Vinyl Seats, Automotive Interiors, Car Dashboards, Sofas & Purses! - 18oz Kit
A good leather cleaner and conditioner should not have extra smells or chemicals. Carfidant Ultimate Leather Cleaner is one of the effective products to try. Apart from being fragrance-free, it will offer the best results in vinyl and leather cleaning without harming the surface or producing unwanted fumes or smells. It is a good choice for cleaning automotive leather seats, sofas, furniture and other leather products.
Whether you are dealing with bonded leather, real leather, durablend, vinyl, sensatc, safflano and other leather blends or replacements, the product will work perfectly. It will get the dirt or stains out to leave a sparkling clean surface. Moreover, the product is easy to use. You only need to spray it on the leather surface and use the microfiber towel to wipe off any excess formula.
Best All-Natural: Leather Milk Conditioner and Cleaner for Furniture, Cars, Purses and Handbags. All-Natural, Non-Toxic Conditioner Made in the USA. Leather Care Liniment No. 1. 2 Sizes. Includes Premium Applicator Pad
Leather Milk Conditioner and Cleaner for Furniture, Cars, Purses and Handbags will clean and restore everything your leather products need to stay healthy for many years. You can use it to fix the dry, dull and scratched leather surfaces. So, if your leather seats are looking used and abused, you can treat them with this product. The application is effortless and it will not make our leather feel sticky or look greasy.
Many conditioners in the market contain unnatural chemicals that may leave unpleasant smells and greasy or sticky feel on the leather surfaces in your vehicle. You have to avoid such products because they will dry out the lather. The manufacturer conditions this product with leather milk before supplying it to customers. Use the Premium Applicator Pad because it works perfectly on leather surfaces.
Best For Auto Interior: Leather Honey Leather Cleaner The Best Leather Cleaner for Vinyl and Leather Apparel, Furniture, Auto Interior, Shoes and Accessories. Concentrated Formula Makes 32 Ounces When Diluted!
When dirt and debris start affecting the appearance of your leather car seats and other leather items, you will need a chemical-free cleaner and conditioner. Customers have trusted Leather Honey Leather Cleaner to help them maintain and restore their leather products to their original look. People use it to treat their motorcycle seats, which are constantly exposed to grime and grit.
You can also use it on your leather apparel, which might be subject to stains and spills. The product is non-toxic and offers a safe and gentle way of cleaning leather and vinyl surfaces. Do not use it on suede products because it will damage them. You will receive it in a concentrated 4-ounce bottle, which you should dilute with water to make 32 ounces. A single bottle will last for many years.
Best Microfiber: TriNova Leather Cleaner for Couch, Car Interior, Bags, Jackets, Saddles. Safe for use in Home or Car, Microfiber Included 18oz
The TriNova Leather Cleaner for Couch, Car Interior, Bags, Jackets and Saddles is an excellent product. It will nourish your delicate leather materials and condition them back to life. According to the producer, the product is safe for a wide range of surfaces such as compound, vinyl, saffiano, faux and leather-like surfaces. To get good results, you just need to spray it on the surface and wipe it off with a soft cloth to remove the stains and provide the leather with new life. It is designed to remove stains, debris, dirt and grime and it does not contain harsh chemicals. Use it to extend the life of your vehicle seats.
Best Two in One: Chemical Guys SPI_103_16 Sprayable Leather Cleaner and Conditioner in One (16 oz)
Another effective automotive leather cleaner and conditioner is the Chemical Guys SPI_103_16 Sprayable Leather Cleaner and Conditioner in One. It will work on any leather upholstery whether inside your house or in your vehicle. The product comes with a unique formulation that features eco-friendly and organic ingredients in a PH-balanced formula.
Spray around five sprays on the surface and wipe off the excess after 15 minutes. Avoid oversaturation and do not allow the excess sprays to sit on the surface for a long time. However, allow it to work its way into the leather and hydrate it. Wait for it to dry before you sit on your car’s seat to avoid ruining your clothing.
Things to consider when buying leather conditioner and cleaner
To buy the right leather cleaners and conditioners for your vehicle, you should know the important factors to consider. Here are the key things to remember:
- The type of leather in your vehicle: The market offers various types of leather. Nubuck and aniline types of leather scratch easily and they are known to absorb water easily. The producers also offer them in a few color variations and the hue is usually complete with natural scars, markings and bites. Pigmented leather, on the other hand, has uniform color and its natural markings are hardly recognizable. The leather is water-resistant and does not scratch easily. Pigmented leather feels slick, more like vinyl. Aniline leathers are buttery while nubuck leathers are velvety. By knowing the type of leather used for your vehicle seats, you will buy the right leather cleaners and conditioners.
- PH-balanced formulation: Whether your vehicle leather seats are made of synthetic leather or genuine leather, you will have to clean and condition it with a product that has a neutral or normal PH. Leather is like any other material that requires a correct balance of alkalinity and acidity. To maintain the leather in the right shape, you have to check the product PH always before using it. The test mark might not indicate that the product is neutral or normal so you have to test it. Consumer reviews will help you select the right product.
- Presence of harsh chemicals and additives: Producers of leather cleaners and conditioners use additives and chemicals to lengthen the shelf life and to extend the cleaning properties. Others will use them to enhance the color of their products. Even though most of them will claim that the additives and chemicals do not affect your leather seats, you will need to try any product before using it. Some of the used chemicals and additives are known to damage leather materials. A good idea is to read the user online reviews.
- Product limitations: Start by reading the product label to know how you can use it and the compatible types of leather. Some manufacturers disallow application of their cleaner and conditioner products on a faux, suede leather and some other types. If your vehicle has vinyl leather seats, double-check the cleaner and conditioner to know whether it is compatible. That way, your leather seats will last for many years.
- Ease of application: You would want a product that is hard to apply. Most of the people who buy products that involve complicated application processes end up discarding them. And each time you realize that the leather cleaner and conditioner you bought is easier to apply, you will be motivated to apply it more often. To know whether the product you are about to buy is easy to apply, read the customer reviews. Some people will share their experiences after using a product.
How to Remove Common Stains From Your Car
Whether someone is carsick between Aurora and Naperville or you spill a little coffee on your way to a meeting in Bolingbrook, just follow these tips to clean the car upholstery:
- Ink: Use hairspray or rubbing alcohol mixed with water. Spray it on the stain and blot carefully to avoid spreading the ink.
- Grease and Oil: Use watered-down paint thinner formula and a cotton cloth. You can also sprinkle the stain with salt or cornmeal and let it sit overnight.
- Coffee: Dilute with cold water then blot away with a paper towel. Apply glass cleaner, let it sit for five minutes, then blot again.
- Vomit: Clean as soon as possible to keep it setting. Wipe up the excess vomit and then dilute the stain using cold water. Wash with mild soap and warm water, then neutralize the stain using club soda.
- Blood: Hot water or soap will only help blood stains set, so soak a cloth in cold water and blot carefully. Rinse the cloth often to avoid setting the stain in further.
How to How to Clean Car Seats With Different Upholstery
You’ll also need to account for the type of fabric you’re cleaning, and this usually breaks down to either fabric, leather, or vinyl. Here’s a quick overview of how you remove stains from car seats of different types:
- Fabric: It’s usually fine and effective to use whatever cleaner you’d try for interior fabric, but there are plenty of additional options online. For deep stains, you can even try renting a small steam cleaner.
- Leather: For stubborn stains, pre-treat with leather conditioner before applying leather stain remover.
- Vinyl: Vinyl is generally pretty easy to clean, just use baking soda and water or spray with glass cleaner.